“Linsanity” is in full swing in New York and around the country (if you haven’t heard of him, ask Kobe Bryant, he will explain). He has already made a huge impact on the New York Knicks and the NBA beyond the court. Ratings on MSG Network for the first five games of “Linsanity” have been 87% higher compared to 20 Knicks games prior according to MSN Money. Jeremy Lin jerseys are sold out, and he is filling the seats wherever the Knicks go. Bloomberg reports that for the February 15th game against the Sacramento Kings, the average ticket price increased 26%. Clearly, Jeremy Lin is good for business (see Linfographic from infographicworld.com).
This makes “Linsanity” a huge opportunity for any consumer packaged goods company whose brand aligns well with this high energy, off-the-wall trend regardless of its specific category. Part of the appeal of Linsanity is that people are simply having fun with the trend and creating new Lin phrases. Any brand that could tap into this naming trend with a clever or amusing pun would be an instant top seller.
The following are a few of our picks for best “Linsanity” aligned branding opportunities:
1. Wheaties with 100% more Lin than the leading cereal brand- It’s clear Jeremy eats his Wheaties, and it would be a shame if there wasn’t a special edition released during “Linsanity”.
2. Linsanity bar- Similar to the Reggie! Bar of the 70’s, a Linsanity bar will get you to the proper level of enthusiasm before a Knicks game. These snacks would also be great for sharing with friends and co-workers during post game discussions.
3. Vita-Lin Vitamin Water- Here for a limited time only, hydrate during those intense games with Jeremy Lin limited edition water.
One of the best ways to identify brand alignments across categories such as Sports and CPG is through the Brand Eco Map™. This unique research tool gauges consumers’ brand perceptions across multiple dimensions to reveal new and unexpected positioning and alignments. Do you know where your brand lives?Share
- Shifting Trends in Combat Sports Mean Big Brand Opportunities
- Branding For Life
- Smart Marketing: Innovative Branding through Online Gaming and Social Networking
- Geek Out: How to Wear the Right Brands for Social Opportunities (Without Overdoing It)
- Geek Out: Online Slideshows and Missed Opportunities